Who is Cary Smith?
Cary Smith is a small business consultant with over 40 years experience as an accountant and consultant to small businesses. In this capacity he has assisted many aspiring entrepreneurs in transforming their idea of owning a business into the reality of business ownership.
Cary has personally formed two consulting businesses. He has experienced firsthand the frustrations in finding reputable and trustworthy professionals that understand the needs of the small business owner. He concluded that his experience was not unique, and that other start-up and existing small business entrepreneurs were having similar experiences.
Summary of Cary’s Activities Relevant to Small Businesses
- Small Business Owner – working with small businesses in business start-up, preparation of business plans, accounting software selection and other small business-related issues.
- Retired CPA – Public accounting experience with Coopers & Lybrand (PricewaterhouseCoopers} and other regional accounting firms serving the needs of small businesses
- Wake County Related Activities
- Member of Holly Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Member of Holly Springs Rotary Club
- Mentor – Launch Holly Springs
- Member of Raleigh Chamber of Commerce Small Business Council – SCORE representative
- Member of Raleigh SCORE – Mentor to small businesses
- Wake County Library System – Conducted workshops for aspiring entrepreneurs and existing business owners on various topics including business planning, accounting software selection, evaluating software needs, and budgeting
- NC-Works – Conducted monthly workshops on starting a business
- Previous member of professional and community associations
- American Institute of Certified Public Accounts (AICPA),
- Rotary – Richmond, VA
- Kiwanis – Fort Myers, FL
- Florida State University – Bachelor and Master of Science degrees in Accounting
- Adjunct Professor – Nova University, Fort Lauderdale, FL. and Florida Community College, Fort Myers FL – Developed and presented courses on “Starting Your Own Business”; taught courses on accounting principles and basic computer concepts